You want to net more money. Selling your home keeps you from having to pay a commission. However, you will need to be careful, make sure that you market effectively, prequalify buyers, and know your paperwork! As a professional real estate consultant, I would love to help you sell. I understand the desire to save money, though, and would like to maintain the position as the “consultant.” I am always here for tips. Below are some statistics about “For Sale By Owners” in the United States.
For Sale By Owner (FSBO) Statistics
FSBOs accounted for 8% of home sales in 2016. The typical FSBO home sold for $190,000 compared to $249,000 for agent-assisted home sales.
- FSBO methods used to market home:
- Yard sign: 35%
- Friends, relatives, or neighbors: 24%
- Online classified advertisements: 11%
- Open house: 15%
- For-sale-by-owner websites: 8%
- Social networking websites (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc.): 13%
- Multiple Listing Service (MLS) website: 26%
- Print newspaper advertisement: 5%
- Direct mail (flyers, postcards, etc.): 4%
- Video: 2%
- None: Did not actively market home: 28%
- Most difficult tasks for FSBO sellers:
- Getting the right price: 15%
- Understanding and performing paperwork: 12%
- Selling within the planned length of time: 13%
- Preparing/fixing up home for sale: 9%
- Having enough time to devote to all aspects of the sale: 3%
If you would like to contact me with questions you may have, you can reach me at 417-659-7532 or call my office at 417-623-9900.